Who we are
We are a group of local immigrants and other interested community members working together to create a welcoming place for immigrants and newcomers. We see the need to support immigrants and newcomers in their transition and act like a bridge that connects them to our community to become more fully integrated.
- Build community and an appreciation of diverse experiences
- Support and encourage community based leadership
- Create awareness of needs of immigrants and newcomers
- Facilitate and support connections for immigrants and newcomers
- Improve and expand services for immigrants and newcomers
- Develop a plan for a multicultural neighbourhood house
Helping new Immigrants – Building Community
- Multilingual Storytime for families interested in sharing their language and heritage
- Conversation Group for adults supporting each other in learning English as well as sharing their unique cultural experiences
- Japanese Learning Group for families interested in learning more about Japanese language and culture
- Drop-in Centre for families and individuals wanting to connect to each other informally for information, support or engage in fun activities together.
- South Asian Senior Women’s Group for senior women who would like to meet with other south asian senior women and improve English skills
- Peer Mentoring Program for families or individuals interested in supporting newcomers to become more connected within our community.
- Community Bookstore & Welcome Centre Space for families and individuals to connect, share & inspire.
- Welcome Centre Community Garden
We need help to make this project successful:
- Volunteer to support immigrants and newcomers @the Welcome Centre
- Become a member for the advisory committee
- Help fundraising and grand writing
- Become a Peer Mentor
- Share your culture
- Share your skills and hobbies