Current Job opening!
P/T Settlement Worker Position 25+ hours per week
The Settlement Worker is responsible for providing immigrants with information, orientation and referral in the areas of settlement and adaptation. He/she helps newcomers connect to community resources and facilitates their integration into the larger community.
- Provides information, orientation and referral to individuals, families and the community, both on the telephone and in-person. Conducts group information sessions.
- Assists in identifying clients’ needs and creating settlement plans
- Supports clients to independently access resources and refers them to relevant services in the community
- Maintains client databases and prepares monthly reports.
- Keeps informed of current resources, trends, needs, changes, and service gaps in the general community and in specific client communities.
- Develops partnerships with service providers to effectively link clients with appropriate community services, i.e. recreation centres, health and employment services.
- Becomes familiar with service policies, practice standards, programming objectives and clearly understands her/his role in achieving contractual goals and outcomes.
- Working knowledge of the immigrant and refugee experience, client support and advocacy techniques; knowledge of Canadian legal, political, cultural, educational, and economic systems.
- Preferably one to two years of experience in community development and group facilitation; and experience in establishing professional relationships with clients.
- Knowledge relating to one or more of the diverse cultural and ethnic communities in Squamish.
- Required to speak, read and write in fluent English. Knowledge of Punjabi and or other language would be an asset.
- Knowledge of standard office equipment and software applications such MSWord and Exel.
- Bachelor’s degree in Community Development, Humanities or Counseling OR High School completion with a diploma or certificate in Social Services, Humanities or Counseling OR equivalent training and experience.
Closing Date: July 27, 2018 at 5pm Position starting: August 13, 2018
Resumes and cover letters by e-mail to: Hiring Team c/o. Pam Gliatis Squamish Settlement Program 38027 Cleveland Ave. email@example.com
(We regret that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.)